Re: Carb Questions (Spitfire)

To: S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Carb Questions (Spitfire)
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 21:10:10 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:35:12 -0500 S1500@aol.com writes:
>Greetings Triumphal Ones,
>
>Thanks to some record breaking warm temperatures this past weekend,
>I was able to enjoy some topless motoring.  It was great.  The
>down-side
>was a carb problem which I had forgotten about showed up again.  The
>problem is sudden loss of power (fuel starvation) whenever I am
>turning
>or banking left in the car.  The reason I had forgotten about the
>problem
>is that the following conditions must be met before it appears.
>
>Ambient temperature must be at least 70deg. F.
>Car must be fully warmed up.
>Car must be turning or banking left.
>
>I drove the car a lot today (temp. in the 50's) and the problem is
>just not
>there.  This is strange.  The carb in question here is a stock ZS150
>manual choke as fitted to a Spitfire Mk4 (1300cc), although I have a
>1500 motor.  I have checked the float level several times as this
>would
>seem to be the likely candidate.  Any other ideas?

Are you sure you are not losing ignition rather than fuel?  Perhaps there
is a mechanical problem like a chafed wire or something that causes the
ignition to cut out when turning left.

Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (daily driver)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)