Synthetic Oils

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Synthetic Oils
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 08:24:14 -0500
Joe,

>I don't want to start a ruckus, my point is only that short of racing the
>cars, the types of driving that the vast majority of us do with our cars -
>will not cause significant engine wear irregardless of the brand/type oil we
>use.
>
>Joe

No Ruckus.  I have used sythetics and extended change intervals with six
different vehicles over the past 16 years; four cars and two motorcycles.
In each case the engines remained amazingly clean internally and tight.  The
three vehicles I no longer have had 194,000 (Toyota), 165,000 (Buick) and
42,000(Honda Motorcycle) on the odometers.  I did not get rid of them
because of the engines.  They were all great running engines.

The benefits of synthetics far outweight the cost impact, especially since
using an extended oil change interval reduces the cost of running synthetic
to close to that of regular oil.  I would not used anything else, except
maybe in an major oil leaker/burner.  Oh, and yes, you can find straight
weight synthetics for your lawn mower, 2 cycle synthetic for your chain saw,
etc.  Hey the stuff works; I use it in all my Internal Combustion engines.

My TR3 is new to me, so until I get it sorted out, and I know it is tight I
will be running "regular" oil.  I plan on switching to synthetic next
summer. I have always used Mobil 1, as it is discounted at Price Club and
other mass merchandicers.  I may however, try Redline in the TR.  I'll keep
the list posted.

Incidentally,  I also use sythetic greases and other lubes wherever possible
as they are more stable over time and less subject to breakdown into acids
and other nasty components.

Joe, run what you want.  I am pretty cheap.  I like to keep my vehicles a
long time. I have a lot of experience that says synthetics are the way to go.

Jack Brooks
1988 SAAB 9000                  (Great Ride)
1960 TR3-A                      (Really Fun Ride)
1974 Norton Commando Roadster   (Unbelievably Fun Ride)
1989 Chevy Cavalier             (Yea, I know, it's a daily driver/beater.
The                                  wife and preschool kids have my SAAB.)
Jack I. Brooks
Project Manager
Belco Technologies Corporation
201-560-8861