Spitfire Turn Signal & Hazard Relay(s)?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Turn Signal & Hazard Relay(s)?
From: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 1997 06:45:51 -0700
I just purchased a 74 Spitfire (1500) VIN FM 20172 U.  No sooner had I got
it home and backed it off the trailer than the signal lights, fuel and temp.
gauges quit working.  I think I have isolated the gauge problem to the
voltage stabilizer, however the turn signal problem is more perplexing.

Every wiring diagram in the Haynes Manual for cars of these years shows that
they have both a turn signal and hazard relay.  I can find only one (Lucas
9FL Flasher 12V 12A MAX) which is located on the firewall.  Among other
things I've checked (grounds, bulbs,etc) I've traced the wires from the turn
signal switch through their connectors to the point where they join a large
wiring harness under the dash and have found no second relay.  As best as I
can tell (I haven't pulled the dash, but I have taken out the seat and shelf
so I can get a good look) these wires stay in that harness and go out the
firewall with it.

I've also checked for a powered wire at the turn signal switch (there are 3
wires here) and found no power to any of them.  Today I'm going to connect
across the relay on the firewall to see if I can get power to the turn
signal switch.

Does anyone know if the 74's did, in fact, have two separate relays and if
so where are they located?  Is there anything else I should check?  I've
ordered new relays and a new turn signal switch (the lever on the old one
came off in my hand yesterday. Old plastic, I guess) and a voltage stabilizer.

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire