Synthetics and seal shrinkage

To: TR list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Synthetics and seal shrinkage
From: Dennis <d.wilson@asu.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 09:06:16 -0700 (MST)
Although I have not done the experiment where I place and engine seal
into synthetic vs mineral oil and measured the seal dimensions, I don't
think that the oil leak problem is caused by seal shrinkage.

The story I have been told is that synthetics clean so well, they will
remove and clean away internal engine sludge that was acting to seal
already poor seals or seals that have gone bad.  Since the cleaning
ability of SO is well known and demonstrated, I feel this is a better
explaination than the seal shrinkage idea, unless some has data on
seal dimensions in SO??

Cheers Dennis