RE: Spitfire Convertible Tops

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Convertible Tops
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:35:14 +0500 (EST)
On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Ralph Jannelli wrote:

> Nolan - I have used J C Whitney tops on my '72 Spit. They are OK
> but not top quality, even there top of the line ones....

I've used both AMCO and Robbins (BeAtCo) tops on Spitfires, and both are
excellent quality and fit, with AMCO tops ususally running somewhat
lower in cost.

I can't speak for JCWhitney, but I can offer the following advice. As
often as not, and as is the case with so many other parts, you get what
you pay for with convertible tops. Cheaper tops might almost fit, or
even might fit fairly well with some sworking (gee, we haven't used that
term on the list in some time, eh?).

My experience has been, though, that the cheaper ones are less likely to
hold up to long-term use. Often they lack certain features of the OEM or
OEM-style tops that you'll soon find you regret not having: rain gutters,
reinforcements in key areas, correct location and number of fasteners
(really critical on early Spitfires, TR4s and other LBCs). Also,
depending on the supplier, one might even end up with the incorrect
grain, which can be spotted miles away by most enthusiasts.

Maybe none of that is all-important at the start, but ultimately it
decreases the value and usefulness of the top, not to mention the value
of the car should you decide to part with it somewhere down the road.

Over the years, I've seen (and used) them all. Stay with OEM or
OEM-quality. It usually doesn't cost that much more.

--Andy