Re: Baptism Into Lucas' World

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Baptism Into Lucas' World
From: James Sudduth <james.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:25:57 -0800
At 12:27 PM 1/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Fellow Motorheads,

>Vlad Lucas, Prince of Darkness, strikes again...
>
>when it occurred to me that I've been having much more trouble with the
>electrical gadjets on the '81 Cadillac Diesel Roadhogster lately than I
>ever had with the TR-250, which was 13 years older !  Of course, the TR
>didn't have an automated radio antenna retractor, or electric door locks,
>or a clockwork windshield washer that also turned on the wipers, but as
>all these GM Gee-whiz options fail on this much younger car, it helps me
>put in perspective that for their age, now, maybe the Lucas electrics
>are merely average...
>
>Now, the Clear Hooters junk is another story, don't get me started...
>
>Best regards,
>Tom Tweed
>'72 Trident 750cc basket case
>various TR-6 bits & pieces

I enjoy trashing Lucas as much as the next guy, and I've even got a "Lucas
Prince of Darkness" T-shirt, but I have to say that the electrics on both my
'64 Sprite and my '74 TR6 have been pretty good. The worst electrics I ever
encountered were those in my '77 Volvo, with a close second being the '70
Fiat 850. Blown fuses, lights, shorts, switches that fall apart before your
wondering eyes, melted fuse boxes and frequent alternator replacements were
endemic to both cars.

Hail Lucas! Knock on wood!

Jim Sudduth
jims@autodesk.com