Re: 1960 TR3A rear axle advise?

To: mbarre@juno.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1960 TR3A rear axle advise?
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 20:32:12 -0500 (EST)
If I were you I would not mess with your diff UNLESS you are aware of a
problem.  Removing the shafts is NOT easy.  In fact it can be  extremely
difficult.  One shop locally broke their press trying to get the thing apart.

I would say, if the seals are not leaking and there is no noticable noise
from the diff or noticable backlash on starting to leave it alone.

Conventional  wisdom about this unit is that it is pretty much bullet proof.
 I did my 59, I thought, then sent a buddie to the same shop to do his.  I
had paid for a complete rebuild on the diff and was told I got it, including
all bearings, (which I supplied) and seals.  This would require removal of
the shafts. He had disassembled his unit and taken it to this shop to remove
the shafts and was told by the shop that THEY HAD NEVER BEEN ABLE TO GET THE
SHAFTS OUT.  Another care we rebuilt, a 60 TR 3, was responsible for the
broken 10 ton bearing press.  They said they eventually got it apart
alternating heat and pressure, but who knows.

If it aint broke, don't fix it I guess.  Any other observations out there ?

Bob Paul
55 TR 2
59 TR 3
64 TR 4