Spray painting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spray painting
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 09:16:27 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8531748131alinkens@farnborough>
Has anyone experience on spraying small sections of bodywork? My standard
spraygun has too large a spraying area to be suitable. I'm wondering whether to
buy a touch-up/spotting spraygun or an airbrush for this purpose. (Also are the
gravity feed guns any good for this?)

Also, on my Triumph 2.5S, I recently resprayed the front end and although the
colour match is excellent in daylight, it looks considerably different in the
dark - especially under street lamps! I used a pale filler primer and then
sprayed the dark red on top in about three coats. Should I have used a coloured
primer or is it just that the top coat is a diferent match anyway?
The problem I now have is whether to re-match the top coat and re-do the front
end or to give the whole car a re-spray when I've finished all the repairs to
the doors, boot area etc.

Any recommended books on the subject of spray painting?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
thanks
Andy
MkII 2.5S Estate