Re: Spray painting

To: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Subject: Re: Spray painting
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:02:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Andrew Linkens wrote:

> Has anyone experience on spraying small sections of bodywork? My standard
> spraygun has too large a spraying area to be suitable. I'm wondering whether
> buy a touch-up/spotting spraygun or an airbrush for this purpose. (Also are
>the
> gravity feed guns any good for this?)
>
> Also, on my Triumph 2.5S, I recently resprayed the front end and although the
> colour match is excellent in daylight, it looks considerably different in the
> dark - especially under street lamps! I used a pale filler primer and then
> sprayed the dark red on top in about three coats. Should I have used a
>coloured
> primer or is it just that the top coat is a diferent match anyway?
> The problem I now have is whether to re-match the top coat and re-do the front
> end or to give the whole car a re-spray when I've finished all the repairs to
> the doors, boot area etc.
>
> Any recommended books on the subject of spray painting?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated,
> thanks
> Andy
> MkII 2.5S Estate
> '69 Vitesse

Even if you use paint from the same mix it is sometimes hard to match
colors.  If it was a metalic or laquer vs enamel or different brand you
might never match it.  Solid colors are a lot easier.  You may just have
trouble with the primer showing up in it.  Some paints have more solids
(pigment) than others and require more coats.  I just finished
refinishing the nose on my TR8 (platinum - laquer)  due to replacing the
decals and they didn't match the originals.  There was a difference in
the paint where the new decals didnt cover.  We went through almost a
gallon of paint mixes and three manufacturers trying to find the same
metalics and color even though I had the correct color code.  Then the
problem was applying it the same as the original.  The amount applied and
pressure used makes all the difference in the world.

On the coating of small areas I find that I can use my larger gun for
most all work, I just narrow up the pattern and watch out for the amount
I apply as it will cover heavier and faster with the small pattern.  You
might be able to buy a lower volume tip for the larger gun also.  I do
have a small touchup gun that I sometimes use.  I recently resprayed my
motorhome and used it for the stripes (4" wide).  I all depends on how
quick you paint sets up with the smaller gun.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC
Tupelo, MS