Re: re Synthetic oil

To: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Subject: Re: re Synthetic oil
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:09:34 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Andrew Linkens wrote:

> I've shied away from using synthetic oil because of the cost and also because
> my cars are always leaking or consuming oil. Recent posts on using it in the
> transmission have made me think that it would be worth a try if only I could
> make the gearboxes overdrives more oil tight!
> Presumably the main culprit is the rear oil seal - can this be changed without
> removing the gearbox on both the 2500S or the Vitesse? Is this likely to cure
> the problem or do other seals have to be replaced also which would mean a
> partial transmission rebuild?
> Andy
> MKII 2.5S Estate
> '69 Vitesse

GM specifies only synthetic oil for the new Corvette engines.  Anything
else will void the warranty.  They went to it because the oil cooler was
removed and temperatures under the hood and oil were higher.  Using
synthetic oil reduced the operating temperature.  I don't know what
the change interval is.  They have approved Mobile 1, Amzol and a couple
of others.  Amzol was just approved as they didn't previously have a 5w30
oil.  This came from a net posting by a Amzol rep. so I assume it to be
valid.

Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC
Tupelo, MS