Re: Questions about Spitfires MKI & MKIII

To: Per Tore Wiik <per.tore.wiik@login.eunet.no>
Subject: Re: Questions about Spitfires MKI & MKIII
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 11:03:09 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 12 Jan 1997, Per Tore Wiik wrote:

> I am planning to buy a Spitfire, and I'm wondering about
> differences between MKI and MKIII. I have heard that
> the roadhandling is much better for the MKIII because
> of a better suspension/axle. Is this true?

In a word, no. The major difference, assuming both the Mk.1 and Mk.3 are
as originally built, is that the Mk.3 has a larger engine -- 1296cc v.
1147cc. in the Mk.1. The Mk.3 is often considered the fastest of all
stock Spitfires for that reason. Later Spitfires had larger engines, but
that was balanced out in some markets by increased weight and emissions
equipment. Again this assumes stock, as-delivered cars.

There are some extremely minor differences between the Mk.1 and Mk.3,
but the major suspension change came with the Mk. IV's "swing-spring"
rear suspension. That setup greatly reduced the overall rear wheel
camber change, making those cars somewhat better in handling. The
conversion is easily performed on earlier cars if desired.

--Andy