Re: 79 Spitting fire - continued

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@ncts.nola.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: 79 Spitting fire - continued
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 21:23:01 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
KEVIN EDDINS wrote:

> I have taken the advice of many and still have the same problem.

                             ~snip~

> Any more advice to make my car stop coughing is appreciated.

                             ~snip~

> I feel like giving up.
>
> Kevin

Kev,

    A while ago a friend of mine had a Ford Granada that spit up
when the accelerator was depressed.  The other symptom was it had
no high  speed (engine speed) ability.  That is, the egine sort of
"bogged down" at high RPM's.  I thought the carb was at fault, so
he bought a rebuilt one, but it didn't help.  To make it short, I
will tell you what was wrong, the catylitic converter was plugged
up.  It seemed that the exhaust wouldn't leave the cylinder on the
exhaust stroke and when the accel was pressed, some compression was
going back through the carb!
   I don't know if this is your solution, just a personal anectdote.
But I wonder, Did you increase exhaust flow to match the increase in
intake flow?

                                 JOE IV
                                 TR 250
                           WALLINGFORD, CT. USA