Re: TR6 Diff Rebuild

To: TR6Massey@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Diff Rebuild
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:40:55 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

The method that was explained to me involves placing the bearing itself
in a bench vise. You place the stub axle such that the outer bearing race
contacts the jaws of the vise. Crank down on the vise until s couple of
the bearings drop out, and then rotate the alxe or hub to remove all the
bearings. Then une a small bearing puller to yank the inner race off.

Assembly is relatively straight forward.

As for using heat, I actually tried that once, I heated it a lot and the
gear puller actually distorted the face of the axle flange. Then I
allowed it to kool and I brought it to a shop with a press. The shop was
successful in destroying the flange and the hub. ;-(

Frankly, I'm a little nervous about heating the flange a lot, I tend to
stress the part quite a lot and I would not enjoy a failure of that
particular part (not that I enjoy any parts' failures, of course). But
breaking an axle at speed is a thrill that I hope to never experience! Of
course, I'm not a metalurgist, so I have no idea if heating the flange is
detrimental to the unit's strength...

Bye,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? 3.5, more or less.