Re: Re[2]: cylinder head interchangeability

To: Zenon_Barelka@systech.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: cylinder head interchangeability
From: DaveFain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 06:41:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Zenon_Barelka@systech.com wrote:

>      Dave,
>
>      Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.  Now that i understand
>      cylinder head interchangeability ... another question.  Does this mean
>      that a TR6 crankshaft can be installed in engine number KD50001
>      through KF100001?  If so what do you then have to do to the head to
>      get the compression ratio to a driveable level?
>
>      Zenon
>      70 GT6 ... in waiting
>      zen@systech.com

>_________________________________
> Subject: Re: cylinder head interchangeability
> Author:  DaveFain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com> at unixlink
> Date:    1/15/97 8:59 PM
>
> "TR6's up to engine number CC75000 and the GT6's from engine
> number KD50001 to KE/KG/KF 10000 used the same block.  Also
> according to the Mitchell book, the blocks are the same in
> GT6's from KF10001 on and TR6's from CC75001 on to the end
> of the CC prefix engine numbers.  The change point in the TR6
> flywheel is at engine number CC50000, production date 11/69.
> I think it is probably the later ones (CC50001 on) that will
> accept the GT6 flywheel"

Correct.  You can convert a GT6 engine to 2500cc by using a
TR6 crank and pistons.  According to the information I have,
the rods and block (within the commission numbers listed
above) are the same.   You just have to
be careful not to use the wrong head with the wrong pistons
or you will end up with a very high or very low compression
ratio.  Note that the GT6 flywheel will only work with later
TR6 cranks.  All things considered, it would probably be
easier to just use a complete TR6 engine.  If you want to
put a 2500 in a GT6, you need a GT6/Vitesse oil pan and a
crank that is compatible with the GT6 flywheel.  And probably
a good supply of extra differentials, but that's another
story in itself.
Dave