Re: cylinder head interchangeability

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cylinder head interchangeability
From: DaveFain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 20:17:46 -0700
 From the TriumphTune catalog:
"The Mk2 is a high-port head--it's all cast with manifolds not
recessed into the head.  On the Mk I you'll find the pushrod
guides are tube inserts.  That head will give you very excessive
compression ratios and it has the smaller 3/8" studs rather than
the 7/16" of the Mk 2.... Cars made from approximately 1972/73 had
deep chamber cylinder heads and domed pistons were used for
2-litre engines.  These engines were used in the GT6 from engine
KE 10001 onwards, and in the 2000 from ME 50001 onwards....The
Mk 2, 2 litre cylinder head was the same casting as the TR5/6
but machined down on the face."
My friend Paul Gordon came up with some additional stuff from
some cross-reference books:
"TR6's up to engine number CC75000 and the GT6's from engine
number KD50001 to KE/KG/KF 10000 used the same block.  Also
according to the Mitchell book, the blocks are the same in
GT6's from KF10001 on and TR6's from CC75001 on to the end
of the CC prefix engine numbers.  The change point in the TR6
flywheel is at engine number CC50000, production date 11/69.
I think it is probably the later ones (CC50001 on) that will
accept the GT6 flywheel"
Paul owns European Auto Parts in Albuquerque.  He's a nice
guy, buy something from him.
Dave Fain
GT6 Mk I