Spit - A-post seals

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: Spit - A-post seals
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 17 Jan 1997 09:19:08 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 1172032DFB48C017-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 17 Jan 1997 09:19:08 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 17 Jan 1997 09:19:08 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <1172032DFB48C017*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Greetings all.

I am putting the finishing touches on my Mk I Spit and have a question about
the rubber weatherstripping seals for the A-posts.  When I purchased the car
there were no seals on the A-posts, and the rest of the weatherstripping was
shot, half gone, etc.  When I ordered all of the replacement
weatherstripping for the Mk I Spit  I ordered the "A-post seals - 2 req'd"
from John Kipping Spares, and I also saw them offered by VB, and others.
 What I received were two flat rubber seals, about 18 inches long and about
1 inch wide with a bulge running the length of one of the long sides.
 Here's the dilemma.  The press-on fuzzy door seal goes all the way around
the door opening and then up the windshield frame A-post which seals the
side window to the A-post just fine.  However, I cannot figure out where
these two last rubber A-post seals are supposed to mount and how they mount
(rubber contact cement??).  Do I even need them?  I am baffled and mystified
because I have not even seen them in photos, etc. or on any other early
Spit.

Moreover, none of my research books show such a rubber seal, nor is it
referenced anywhere.  Anyone have a thought or clue as to where they go and
how they mount?  Or am I stuck with left over parts - you know the syndrome
 - disassemble car, reassemble car, look at large pile of parts remaining on
floor after all done, scratch head, start car up, runs fine, hmmmm, guess
they weren't necessary after all.

The good news is that they were cheap, about $1.50 each, so I won't feel too
bad if y'all tell me to toss em.  Thanks in advance.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe (next project)