Replacing TR-3 clutch actuator return spring.

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Replacing TR-3 clutch actuator return spring.
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@sj.zNET.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 13:13:08 -0800 (PST)
        When I replaced the missing clutch actuator return spring on my
TR-3, I was surprised to note that the anchor plate for the spring fit
within the actuator rod fork (the actuator rod goes from the slave cylinder
piston to a fork which is fixed to the clutch actuator shaft by a clevis
pin).  I assume this because there was no room for the anchor plate between
the outside of the fork and the cotter pin that holds the clevis in place.
There * was* room inside the fork.
        I had another surprise when I put the return spring in place.  After
having no trouble finding the hole in the slave cylinder support bracket
that held its opposite end, I found it nearly impossible to stretch the
spring all the way back to the anchor plate.  The 1 1/4" coil section of the
spring stretched to almost 2" and the loop that goes through the anchor
plate was strained out of shape.
        Can anyone who has seen the spring and anchor plate on their own car
verify this hookup for me?  I am thinking of buying the parts manual, which
is said to have pictures of all these hookups.  And I will buy the girling
specified spring from TRF in order to see if the one I got from Moss is
correct.  In the mean time ....
        Many thanks.
John Cowan.
        P. S. Thanks also to all who commented on the spring which a
mechanic had mounted pulling in the wrong direction.  It was too weak to
have any effect at all.

Visit - In Their Own Words Website - an on-line non-commercial publishing
experiment, plus articles, article outlines and Left/Progressive links at:
           http://sj.znet.com/~jfcowan/