Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics

To: "Gano, Ken" <kengano@advant.com>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:38:20 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Gano, Ken wrote:

> my wrench (Mark Phelan VTR consultant) suggests doing hydraulics LAST as
> then seals, etc. will dry out rather quickly if not exposed to fluid right
> away.
>
> just his $0.02 worth.  Good luck
> Ken Gano
> kengano@advant.com
> TR3A TS57756 (in pieces)
>
> ----------
> > From: James H. Davis, Jr. <jhdavis6@juno.com>
> > To: kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov
> > Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> > Subject: Re: Rebuilding Hydraulics
> > Date: Friday, January 17, 1997 12:28 AM
> >

> > On Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:07:29 -0800 Kenneth Brown
> > <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov> writes:
> > >While the temperature approaches freezing in my garage  I would like
> > >to do some
> > >work in the comfort of my warm home, mainly rebuilding the hydraulics.
> > >My
> > >question to the list concerns whether there is any problem rebuilding
> > >the brake
> > >and clutch components now even though I don't plan on getting them
> > >back on the
> > >car for four months or so. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > >Ken Brown
> > >TR250 hoping to get back on the road by summer
> > Ken,
> > Amazingly, the only parts of 38690 that worked perfectly (with no leaks)
> > prior to restoration were the hydralics. While the car sat in various
> > states of disassymbly for 2.5 yrs. I stored the brake & clutch m/c and
> > clutch s/c in sealed plastic bags. Upon reassymbly, the only things that
> > didn't work were, you guessed it, the hydralics ( and the water pump-you
> > can't let it sit dry for extended periods I found out, but that's another
> > story). I'd wait, but since mine may be an isolated incident, you may
> > want to get other input.
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Jim Davis
> > CF38690UO
> > CF37325U

It shouldn't make any difference ynless they will be stored for years.
When you purchase replacement seals they typically come packed loose in a
cardboard box.  When reassembling them the rubber seals should be coated
with a assembly lubricant anyway.  I believe that it is bassically a
silicone grease.  This would protect the rubber components.  You should
be able to purchase it at any auto parts store.  Some kits come with it
in the kit.

Joe Worsley  (55 degrees here.  Went for a top down ride. Better than 15
80 TR8 DHC    two days ago)
Tupelo, MS