Telling the age of glass

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Telling the age of glass
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:40:00 +0000
     I hope the following will be of use to some folk.  My Triumph
     experience is limited to the later Spitfires and GT6s where this info
     definitely applies, but will also be valid for any Triplex glass.

     Firstly, determine the year of manufacture by checking which letter in
     the printed logo on the glass has a letter under it.  (You need to
     know the decade as this can't be determined)

     Toughened  or      Laminated
     ..........         ..........
     1234567890         1234567890

     next find the month of manufacture:
                .                                       :    .
     Jan        TRIPLEX (dot over the T)        Jul     TRIPLEX

                 .                                      :     .
     Feb        TRIPLEX (dot over the R)        Aug     TRIPLEX

                  .                                     .     :
     Mar        TRIPLEX                         Sep     TRIPLEX

                   .                                     .    :
     Apr        TRIPLEX                         Oct     TRIPLEX

                :                                            .:
     May        TRIPLEX (double dot over T)     Nov     TRIPLEX

                :.                                            :
     Jun        TRIPLEX                         Dec     TRIPLEX

     Thus, a Spitfire Mk IV marked

     .     :
     TRIPLEX
     Toughened
        .

     indicates that the glass was produced in September 1974 (because it
     couldn't be 1964 or 1984)

     I hope all these spaces and tabs come out OK on everyones mail reader!

     Cheers

     Pat