Re: Spitfire Brake Calipers

To: Bill Munts <muntsb@HiWAAY.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Brake Calipers
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:11:52 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill Munts wrote:

> I know this has been discussed and yes I wasn't paying attention, but what is
> the best way to get the pistons out of the brake caliper?  They will come out
> a little but I think there is a ring of rust and stuff just before the seal
> that is holding the pistons in.  I remember some folks using compressed air,
> but what if one piston comes out and the other doesn't?
>
> TIA
>
> Bill M.
> '70 MkIII Spitfire

Bill:

Recently rebuilt the calipers on my '70 Spitfire.  As you mentioned, I
too used compressed air. I completely soaked the calipers in Castrol GT
LMA fluid for a couple of days, emptied them and cleaned off with brake
parts cleaner.  Then CAREFULLY used compressed air.  It worked in all
cases. Wear your eye/face protection, and BE SURE YOU DO NOT LEAN OVER
THE CALIPER AT ALL TO INSPECT FOR MOVEMENT DURING APPLICATION OF AIR.
Even with slight application of air in one caliper side, my piston shot
to the ceiling of the garage and left a "reminder" on the underside of a
rafter.

Good luck, and be safe!

Martin Libhart
1972 TR6 (driver)
1970 Spitfire Mk.3 #FDU75026L (under restoration)