Re: 72 Spit carb overhaul.

To: Andy Bristow <AJBRISTOW@taz.dra.hmg.gb>
Subject: Re: 72 Spit carb overhaul.
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:50:18 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Hi everyone.
>
>The carbs on my '72 Spit are in need of an overhaul, and I want to do this
>myself. Can anyone help me with one or 2 pointers (bearing in mind that I
>have no experience with carbs, but I do know my arse from my elbow :) ) -
>
>1. Are there any good books on SUs (is the Haynes manual worth having, for
>   example)?
>2. How long would you expect the job to take?
>3. I have heard of overhaul kits, with all the necessary bits and pieces.
>   Where is a good place to get one from (in UK)?
>4. Any other tips?
>
>thanx,
>
>Andy

Andy,
        Okay, here's some tips:
1) Once you've broken the carb up, put it in a gallon of carb cleaner to
soak for a while.
2) You'll be mad you bought the rebuild kit, but go ahead and buy it. It
containst many more parts and stuff than you will need, but the first carb
rebuild to always a learning expierience and it's better if you just buy
the kit for your first one.
3) Once soaked, polish all the parts with _super-fine_ steel wool. Works great.

That's about all I can think of right now, I hope it helps. I just finished
my dual ZS a while ago, I can probably help you some if you need it. Feel
free to write.

Good Luck!

Jeff