Re: Driving without the clutch...? [LONG]

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: Driving without the clutch...? [LONG]
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:20:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>, james.sudduth@autodesk.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I couldn't have set it any better.

Note: clutchless driving is hard on the drivetrain. It will wear or
illustrate that your motor and transmission mounts are in need of
refreshing etc. It can also be very hard on your differential and its
mountings.

That being said, like Ken stated, it is surprisingly easy to get in and
out of gears w/o the clutch, and clutchless shifting is merely merging
the two operations into one.

It takes practice.

Oh, and I never grab the shift knob hard. I always use one or two fingers
for the shifts. That way, I'm putting less strain on the transmission if
I goof.

Bye,
rml

p.s. Yes, I do use the clutch to start from a dead stop. Starting the car
from a dead start w/o the clutch is very hard on the starter and battery.
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? I'd like more.