Re: Driving without the clutch...? [LONG]

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Driving without the clutch...? [LONG]
From: transerv@sprynet.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:13:36 -0800

<---- Begin Forwarded Message ---->
From: transerv@sprynet.com
To: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>

Re: Clutchless shifting.

Yes, it can be done with little or no damage.  Truck drivers, particularly of
the large car (18 wheel) variety shift this way almost exclusively.  I learned
this back in the 70's when I drove one of these big rigs for a while.  The
diesels in these truck have a rather narrow power band, 1500-2000 rpm or so,
hence the necessity for 9 to 15 forward speeds.  You get a lot of  practice,
and
 in time can shift up when the revs max out (diesels are usually governed) and
down shift by pausing in neutral and reving the engine up before shifting into
the lower gear.  You just have to match the input rpm to the rpm of the
spinning
lower gear.  As I said, nearly all diesel jockys do it, and it is usually
taught
as the correct technique by driver trainers.  Saves the clutch they say.

Having said all that, and having admitted to driving that way for years, I also
must point out that first or second gear in the big boxes usuall wears down
until the shifter begins to jump out on its own.  Also, when I came home from
learning this and showed my wife (now ex but thats another story) how to do it
on the Morris Minor PU, she was delighted and proceeded to practice on the
Saab.
 This lead to a $600.00 transmission for a $1700.00 car.

I still drive a standard daily, but I use the clutch.  Well paid engineer types
must have put it there for some reason.  I do agree though that this is a
valuable skill to have for emergencies, and a fast acceleration through the
gears with no pause for clutching is fast and impressive when done correctly.
I'd suggest practicing on the company truck or a friends car.

Robert Houston
'63 TRA 11 year restoration project, hope it runs someday.
<----  End Forwarded Message  ---->