RE: Thank You

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Subject: RE: Thank You
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:10:04 +0500 (EST)
Cc: "DDilucchio@aol.com" <DDilucchio@aol.com>, Triumph Group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Dan Dilucchio wrote:
> ...Went to bleed the brakes today. ('66  Spitfire that has been sitting
> for 5 years)...Put a wrench to the nut and it was
> so frozen the nipple and a pieac of the metal
> in which it sits broke right off...what should I order?

Vincenti, Ross replied:

> It sounds as though you fractured the rear brake cylinder, in which case you
> will need to buy a replacement cylinder from a local parts store if they
> have it, or order it from TRF, etc.

I'll second Ross's comments about relative ease of changing out wheel
cylinders. I will add a few small points:

It's likely that both rear cylinders are no good, so go ahead and buy two.
If the other one happens to be ok, then make sure you get a "matching" new
one. There are a couple of different sizes. Originally, one could more or
less tell by the year of the car which cylinder it would take. All these
years later, though, anything could have happened, as they are
interchangeable (in fitment).

This is a great time to clean up everything back there while you're
replacing cylinders and checking (maybe replacing hoses). Use lots of
water, then maybe brake cleaner, to clean everything up (don't want any of
that nasty asbestos dust in your lungs). Free up, clean and lubricate the
adjustor (if it's not butchered, heat from a propane torch will usually
free it up, then clean it up with wire brushes, etc.) Use white lithium
grease to reassemble the adjustor. Use the same grease to lubricate the
part of the cylinder where it contacts the backing plate -- it must slide
freely to do its job. And you can use that grease sparingly on the "tips"
of the brake shoes, so that they will move freely as well.

--Andy