RE: Oil Seal Removal (tr6)

To: "DUHART JOHN" <duhart@symbol.com> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Oil Seal Removal (tr6)
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 27 Jan 1997 15:02:08 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 072A432ED33F0027-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 27 Jan 1997 15:02:08 -0800
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 27 Jan 1997 15:02:08 -0800
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <072A432ED33F0027*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
JOHN DUHART wrote:
I'm trying remove the oil seals from the timing cover and the rear
housing cover.  These seals seem to be permanently mated to these
components!  Should this be?  What do I need to do to remove them?
++++++++++++++++++++
John -

I just had to remove a stubborn oil seal from the pinion shaft of my Spit.
differential and I can assest to the difficulty.  I ended up using a small
sledge hammer (yup, you read that right) and a big ol' bad ass screw driver
to beat on it and pry it out (being somewhat careful not to trash the
seating surface for the seal.  Angle the screwdriver blade across the edge
of the seal and beat inward on the handle until the seal begins to collapse.
 Don't be afraid - it takes a bit of force.  It will finally start to
collapse.  Then you can use a smaller screwdriver to pry it out.  It's
useless, so feel free to rip it to shreds as you remove it.  I then used a
little 200 grit, then 600 grit paper to smooth out a couple of goobers I
nicked on the face.  Popped in a new seal and, voila, no leaks.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe