Re: Steering wheel<32EF8251.7E94@kiruna.se>

To: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel<32EF8251.7E94@kiruna.se>
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 09:02:12 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>i am lifting the chassi on my car everything i lose except for the
>steering wheelaxel. How do i losen it?
>--
>Robert Ylitalo
>Kiruna, Sweden
>Spitfire mk2 1965
>http://www.kiruna.se/~roberto/
>mail home robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se
>mail work robert.ylitalo@krn.semagroup.sema.se

Robert,

Under the dash, at the bottom of the outer steering column is a clamp which
'gives' in the event of a frontal impact, it is held in place by two 7/16
bolts, remove these so the clamp can be removed.  Then open the bonnet and
remove the nut and bolt on the upper end(furthest from steering rack) of the
coupling which connects the column to the rack(You may need to 'open' the
joint up a little with a large screwdriver to get the column to pull out).
Once the column is released from the coupling, it will push up into the
steering column out of the way and the body can now be removed.

If you have any problems, then send me a ticket and I'll pop over at the
weekend and give you a hand.  :-)

Cheerio

Rich
England.

ps, the joint under the bonnet is hidden by the suspension turret, so it's a
bit awkward to get to, it'll probably be covered in oil/grease/leaves/rat
sh*t/etc etc so have fun.  :-)