Re: lubricated the spedo cable -

To: Bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Re: lubricated the spedo cable -
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:30:20 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 06:23:44 -0800 Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
writes:
>It's amazing what a little cable lube will do.  For the last couple of
>days
>I've been watching the ol' spedometer on the GT6+ swing wildly between
>50
>and 90 on the freeway, with the occasional freeze, get ready, windup
>and
>zing.  Pegged that sucker all the way over to the other side of the
>'0' stop
>(roughly 160 MPH??) while vibrating uncontroably!  Makes a noise not
>unlike
>grinding ice in a blender!!  Finally got around to lubing it last
>night and
>no zinging!  Only fluctuates between 55 and 75.  Guess I missed a few
>spots.
>Oh well I'll re-do it tonight. . .little more lube this time!  :-)
>
>Barry Schwartz
>Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
>Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
>(San Diego)
>70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily
>driver)
>70'GT6+

Don't get carried away with the cable lube.  I thought more was better
and the excess grease traveled up the cable and into the speedo head
where it really bollixed things up.
Mark Anderton

1972 Triumph TR6 (Getting ready for paint)
1984 Jaguar XJ6 (2 ea - some people never learn)
1966 Morris Minor (everything a car should be)
1971 Land Rover (Farm use)
1967 Daimler V8 Saloon (Be patient! I'm workin' on it)
1958 Velocette MSS (500cc single)
1987 VW Golf GTI (How did that sneak in here?)