Re: lubricated the spedo cable -

To: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@feist.com>
Subject: Re: lubricated the spedo cable -
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:38:18 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Martin Libhart wrote:

> Am having a similar problem with the tach on my latest acquisition. At
> about 2000 RPM, the tach jumps around rather erratically between 2K and
> 4K or 5K. With all of the other clean-up and electrical re-connecting
> I'm doing, the tach has been a low priority. I believe, however, that I
> have a mechanical tach on my TR6. Is cable lubrication the simple
> solution here, too?

Martin, I'll intrude here - You may find that lubricating helps a little
but may not totally fix the problem (like Barry).  Usually, further
lubrication doesn't help and may in fact damage the guage as Andy pointed
out.  In my experience, when a cable has run without lubrication for a
while, it gets damaged internally and will never give totally smooth
performance.  Barring problems with the guage itself, replacing the cable
will probably fix the bouncing.

You might also check for sharp bends, pinches, etc.. in the cable that
could account for rough running.  I wouldn't think this would be the case
on a tach (it's pretty much a straight shot from the distributor to the
guage) but could be a problem on a speedo.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Omaha NE