Re: Dial Gauges - TR6

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Dial Gauges - TR6
From: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 22:42:40 -0500
Cc: james.sudduth@autodesk.com
> I need to measure the slop in my thrust washers and I was wondering if there
> is a way to do this without using a dial gauge?
>
> If not, does anyone know of a reputable place to buy/order a dial gauge? Or
> should I just go to my local NAPA parts place and get one there?

You can measure it with a feeler gauge set as well, though it's really
not as precise.  Find two good solid areas to measure (like crankshaft
to bearing webbing, or maybe pulley to case) with a feeler gauge.  Do
the standard drill.  Push the crankshaft back, measure.  Pull it
forward, measure again.

You can mail order a decent gauge and magnetic base from places like
Harbor Freight or ENCO, but it takes time.  You might be able to rent
one as well.  Although I doubt it would save you much over just buying
one.