Re: Dial Gauges - TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dial Gauges - TR6
From: James Sudduth <james.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:33:27 -0800
At 10:53 PM 1/30/97 +0000, you wrote:
>James Sudduth wrote:
>>
>> Dear Motorheads:
>>
>> I need to measure the slop in my thrust washers and I was wondering if there
>> is a way to do this without using a dial gauge?
>>
>> If not, does anyone know of a reputable place to buy/order a dial gauge? Or
>> should I just go to my local NAPA parts place and get one there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim Sudduth
>> jims@autodesk.com
>> '74 TR6 CF20076U
>> Berkeley, California USA
>-------------------------------
>
>Even with the use of a Dial Indicator. My preferred method is with a
>feeler gauge to determine clearance between the crank and washer.
>
>Just finished a 70 TR6 engine
>
>Glenn Franco

Hi Glenn:

This is also a reply and thanks to Nolan Penney.

Thanks for the info! My interest in either using a dial guage or finding
some other way of measuring the end float was so I would know what oversize
thrust washers to order before taking anything apart.  That way the car
wouldn't sit in the garage so long and I could drive it more. YEEESSS
FEVER!!!! I've got it bad. Although with the rain and flooding we've been
having in California these past few months opportunities to indulge have
been limited. I miss the old days of the drought when it would be 75 degrees
and sunny in the middle of January. Couldn't get a drink of water or flush
the toilet but who cares about that when a TR6 beckons? Besides, there's
always plenty of beer and lots of places by the side of the road. . .

I think I'll just go to Sears and get a dial gauge; I'll have other uses for
it over the years, I'm sure, when the inevitable rebuild(s) occur :-)

"We're all bozos on this bus. Go ahead, squeeze the wheeze!!"

Jim Sudduth
jims@autodesk.com
'74 TR6 CF20076U
Berkeley, California USA