GT6: The final straw

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: GT6: The final straw
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:09:38 +1100
Listers

I have just reach the end of the road with our GT6+. After a major rebuild
(initiated by a bearing noise that we still cann't find), the car now has a
rebiult TR6 gearbox, 3.27 diff, and rear axle.

This morning I followed my wife to work (I have a company car so Sal gets
to drive the Triumph!!), and the left hand side rear wheel has developed a
major wobble 20+ mm deflection at the tread (new bearings etc less that 100
miles ago!!). The wobble is coming from the brake drum in (I pulled the
wheel off in her works carpark).

Has anybody ever seen or heard of something like this. All the bearing end
floats were set up to 0.5 thou as per the book, and the nut on the axle
still seems to be on tight (I'm still waiting for it too limp home).

"Anybody want a cheap Triumph?" (yes I am kidding, however if I had had an
offer this morning it was "outa here")

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)
'67 Spitfire MkII (restoration)