Re: Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?

To: ericst@MICROSOFT.com
Subject: Re: Trunnions (TR6): oil or grease?
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 19:36:56 +73900 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, cowan@erg.sri.com, cowan@triumph.cs.utah.edu

> Everything I've heard & read says to use hypoid oil.
>
> I have a question on this though. When using oil, instead of grease, how
> does one get the oil in? I'd be interested in hearing how people on the
> list are doing this.  NAPA sells a pump which you attach to the container
> of oil & can use to pump into the hole (eg remove the plug). Is this how
> people are doing it?

  I use a grease gun to oil the Spit's trunnions.  I just turn it upside
down and pour the oil into the chamber where the grease cartridge is
supposed to go, then replace the plug on the axle with a grease nipple and
pump away.  I've always done this with a pnuematic grease gun, but I assume
a regular one would work as well.
  BTW, does anybody know any reason not to leave grease nipples on the car?
I always remove them and replace the plugs because that's what the manual
shows as supposed to go there, and I'm anal about it.  But I notice that
most people just leave the nipples on, and I can't really argue against
doing that.

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit