Re: Race Cars Out There

To: susan@grotecon.com
Subject: Re: Race Cars Out There
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 16:45:25 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I met you briefly at VTR (on the day of the concours). I didn't have
enough money to buy the nifty cam and head that your were selling ;-( I
still don't have the money. Oh well.

I'm not a road racer (yet), but I actively run my TR6 in SCCA AutoX in
the DSP category. I also came in 2nd in the M4 class at VTR this year
(1st last year in Albany).

I have done most of the suspension things to the TR6, Urethane bushings,
Moss comp springs front and back, Spax front shocks, Addco bars front and
rear. I've added Weber DCOE 40's and a header with a Monza exhaust in
order to add a bit of power.

I usually run Hoosier radial road-race compund tires on American Racing
4-spoke mags (5.5 inch, no less!)

The car is pretty good, but it drives completely different than it did in
the stock configuration, so I need to re-learn how to drive the car.

I need to add 7 inch wheels (panasports or Kiezer) and I really need a
Quaiffe!

In the garage is my next project. Basically, the car will be a time trial
car and I'll probably build to SCCA EP specs, althought I might build to
the "classic" GT3 spec if SCCA keeps going that way. I'll basically copy
over my suspension bits from the other car and lighten everything as much
as possible. As money becomes available, I'll build an engine up for more
power. In the mean time, I'll build a basically "street" motor that is
balanced to the max. then port and tweek over time for more power.

Bottom line: I want to get some seat time. I would like to buy a
ready-built car but I'm short on cash. I have several TR6 parts cars and
I love TR6's and I have a lot of spare time (not), so what the heck.

In the New England SCCA region, there are a few Triumph racers that are
active. Lest weekend I saw Tony Martin and his GT3 TR6. Nice car, not
sure how he did. Other folks in NER complain about availability of cranks
for G and H prod Spitfires, but I believe that issue may be relieved if
SCCA allows billit cranks now.

I almost bought a G prod Spitfire last year, the guy wanted $2500 for a
roller. I had a line on a couple engines... oh well. I haven't seen that
guy racing this year (yet).

Good luck on your road racing...
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
Quote: Driving starts to get fun when you start sliding!