Re: Heater control knobs

To: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Heater control knobs
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 14:13:20 -0700
Cc: The Collective Wisdoms <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
John L. Walker wrote:

> Obvious Problem #31496:
>
> What sort of set screw is used to hold on the heater knobs.. mine have
> rust in them and are reluctant to come out.  I have tried a screwdriver,
> an allen wrench, and a needle (to clean it)-- still can't tell what it is!
>
> Question of the Day:
> How do you remove the knob?
>
>     Too many rocks and not enough sand.

Not set screws at all but little spring loaded nubs that clicked into the
hole in the knob. You have to push them in as you are pulling the knob
off. I've used an icpick and a small dimeter allen wrench for this
purpose. Its a tricky operation because the pick or wrench must be
removed as the forward edge of the hole comes in contact with the nub
sufficiently far to keep it depressed after the ice pick is removed. Also
the knobs tend to hold ont the shaft for dear life.  Good luck

Deano