Re: Spit 1500 Brakes

To: Jason Burden <jason@clinic.net>
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 Brakes
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 1997 09:28:37 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 2 Aug 1997, Jason Burden wrote:

>       I recently purchased a 1979 spit. I am in love with the car, but theres
> one thing missing.. brakes! They do work, but not until I hit the floor.
> Does anybody have any suggestions for resolving this issue? I checked all
> the fluid levels, they were full.

Assuming that all the varios hydraulics are indeed ok, the first thing to
check is rear brake adjustment. I'd guess that your handbrake probably
doesn't seem to work very well, either, but try pulling it up all the way
and see what the brake pedal does.

Adjustment of the rear brakes is fairly simple, so long as the adjustor
is free. Use a spoke wrench with 1/4" jaws, or a decently long-jawed
adjustable wrench, or the drive side of a 1/4" socket (use a nut/bolt and
another socket and ratchet to turn this.

Note that the adjustor works in quarter-turn increments; it is NOT an
"infinite" adjustor. Turn each adjustor up until the wheel no longer
turns, then back off one quarter-turn. With luck, this is all you'll need
to bring your brakes back to more normal pedal feel.

If that all doesn't help, get back to us!

--Andy