Re: ZS carbs 2

To: Mark Clark <clarkm@OIT.EDU>, list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: ZS carbs 2
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:43:44 -0400
Mark Clark <clarkm@OIT.EDU> writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

  Go for the Unisyn.  I tried the tube in the ear trick the first few
times I adjusted the carbs, but found it hard to hear any difference.  The
Unisyn is easy to use, not expensive, and at least for me improved the
results of the tune up.

______________________________
Dr. Mark Clark
Oregon Institute of Technology

<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mark, et al.

There is a phenomenon called Psyco-physical something or other in regards
to human perception that is exponential.  That means that noise that is
twice as loud (eg: you turn up the volume on the radio from 2 Watts to 4
Watts) it will sound just perceptively louder.  In order to make the noise
sound twice as loud is to increase the wattage 10 times!  And the same
thing holds for weighing things in your hand, light brightness, etc.

Concequently, synchronizing your carburetors "by ear" will only get them
as close as one carb sucking twice as much as the other.  A Unisyn or
something like it is required to get any closer than that.

Something I learned in college many years ago.  And being an audio buff
at the time I committed it to memory.

Dave Massey
On the digest