Propane A/C

To: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>, list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Propane A/C
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:43:54 -0400
Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com> writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi!

I followed the propane thread a little and apologize if I may have
missed this, but:

I was wondering what I need to do to prep the current A/C system to
accept propane.  I was lucky enough to get the original dealer-installed
A/C set-up for a GT6 -- it mounts behind the seats and blows from
there.  It still has a little freon in it, but will need a full
recharge.  Do I need to drain the entire system before doing propane?
And, before you ask, I am not doing this myself, as I don't have the
equipment or the knowhow, so don't worry about my blowing myself up.  I
have a friend with the expertise.  I am a step-by-step,
spell-it-out-to-me sort of person, so if anyone knows, would you mind
spelling it out for me?  I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks so much in advance,
Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   %)
Dallas, Texas

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Susan,

I am not advocating using propane in your AC, I am only discussing
the technical ramifications of using it.  I would recommend refilling
the system with R12 (if there is not a flagrant leak) or converting
to R134.  Both of these methods are very common and you will have no
problems getting follow-up service.

If you wandered into a shop at random and said you wanted service on
your air conditioner which, by the way, was filled with propane they
will probably run you out with crucifixes and garlic braids. ;-)

Dave (it gets hot here in St. Louis, too) Massey

P.S. sorry I didn't make it to the VTR. I had planned on it but business
     kept me away.  Heard it was great.