Radio problems

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Robert Swift <bertswft@tiac.net>
Subject: Radio problems
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:43:52 -0400
Robert Swift <bertswft@tiac.net> writes

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Help!  I've just finished restoring the dashboard and instrument panel on
my
'76 TR6 and decided to install aa Alpine in-dash CD player and Speakers
into
the car while I'm at it. The instalation of everything went well and it
looks and sounds terrific. Until I start the engine. This is my problem:
With the engine running the music on the stereo is extremely distorted. So
bad I can't listen to it. It's not the whinning sound that follows the
RPMs.
It's a robust distortion that threatens to blow the speakers if I dare to
listen to it. I've treid installing the power cables a few different ways .
First, as directed in the manual(one power cable to the ignition system and
one cable to the battery), and now I've got it with both power cables going
straight to the battery(thinking that I'll bypass the ignition system).

My local alpine dealer won't touch it for less than $150.00/hour(!!!)
because I didn't buy it from him. He says that there are many things that
could be the cause of it. and he doesn't know if it would take him 45
minutes of two days to find and cure the problem. Basically, he toldme I'm
on my own. Has anyone else out there experienced this? There must be
someone
else like me who wants to be able to play cds in there triumph instead of
the original AM/FM radio.

Please help.

Bert Swift
bertswft@tiac.net

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Bert,

Try this:

Borrow another battery and operate your radio form this battery.
Is there still interference when the engine is running?

If not then the problem is power line related and you can go to
Radio shack and buy a choke (inductor) and some condensers
(capacitors) and build a "pi filter" as below:

     +   ------------UUUUUUUU-------------
    ---       |       Choke       |      |
Batt -     + ---               + ---     |
    ---      --- Cap         Cap ---    Radio
     -        |                   |      |
     |        |                   |      |
     ---------------- (ground) -----------

If you still get interference then the problem is ignition related.
Do you have solid copper spark plug wires?  There is a reason the
auto manufacturers went to radio suppression spark plug wires and
their cars run just fine.  In this case you should use radio
suppression spark plug wires, ensure that the cap and rotor are in
good shape and install a filter cap at the battery side of the
coil.

If you have any other questions, write back.

Dave Massey
Yet another electrical engineer on the net.