voodoo ammeter on a TR6

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: voodoo ammeter on a TR6
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 02:24:41 -0400
Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca> writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Felow listers,  Dave Terrick here wit news of the ghost of Jos. Lucas
himself...

A non-lister TDC member called me about a 5 to 3 wire conversion he was
doing on his 70 TR6.  Said that his ammeter registered a 30-40 amp cahrge
after start.

After going over the "cahrging surge right after the draw surge..."
discussion we agreed to change gauges.  The second guage also registered
about 30 amps and- now both of them agree - with the battery disconnected
 - still reads a 10 amp charge!!!!

After much playing around, we deterined that the gauge was posessed.  Out
of the bezel, the gauge read 0 amps.  As soon as it was fitted to the
panel,  it showed a charge!  Herb ultimately bent the pointer but I still
thinl Mr. Lucas is lurking...   any ideas?!?!?

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg
on behalf of a 70 TR6

Dave:

It must be a phenomenon associated with your proximity to the North Pole.
;-)

Do I understand this right?  Does the Ammeter read 10 Amps with the key off
and the battery disconnected?  Are the radio speakers installed?  Do
They have BIG magnets?  Note that the ammeter works by magnetism (or
magic) and stray magnetic fields will cause this problem.

Let us know if you learn anything else about this phenomenon.

Dave (you could change to a voltmeter) Massey