voodoo ammeter on a TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: voodoo ammeter on a TR6
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 00:40:22 -0500
Felow listers,  Dave Terrick here wit news of the ghost of Jos. Lucas
himself...

A non-lister TDC member called me about a 5 to 3 wire conversion he was
doing on his 70 TR6.  Said that his ammeter registered a 30-40 amp cahrge
after start.

After going over the "cahrging surge right after the draw surge..."
discussion we agreed to change gauges.  The second guage also registered
about 30 amps and- now both of them agree - with the battery disconnected
- still reads a 10 amp charge!!!!

After much playing around, we deterined that the gauge was posessed.  Out
of the bezel, the gauge read 0 amps.  As soon as it was fitted to the
panel,  it showed a charge!  Herb ultimately bent the pointer but I still
thinl Mr. Lucas is lurking...   any ideas?!?!?

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg
on behalf of a 70 TR6