'73 TR6: US vs. Canada spec?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '73 TR6: US vs. Canada spec?
From: "Brendan O'Shea" <boshea@Adobe.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:22:59 -0700
Hi,
        I've been lurking on the list for a few weeks now, while shopping
for a TR. This past weekend I finally bought a 1973 TR6. In order to get it
licensed, I need a piece of paper from US Customs saying it was legal to
import it from Canada. Before the customs man will give that to me, he
wants an official, written statement saying that it meets the 1973 US
safety standards. I'm going through the official channels to (hopefully)
get this, but am wondering :
        1) Has anyone else successfully done this?
        2) Does anyone knows what (if anything) was different in the US &
Canadian TR6s in 1973? (with respect to safety)
        3) Does the certificate from the 'British Motor Industry Heritage
Trust Fund' (mentioned a few times in the past weeks) give sufficient
detail to determine safety features?
        4) Does anyone know of any way to expedite this? Unofficial
channels? Back-doors? Who to bribe? (just kidding, Mr.customs man)

        Any help is appreciated, thanks,

-Brendan O'Shea
 1973 TR6 (driving up & down the driveway is fun, but...)