Re: '73 TR6: US vs. Canada spec?

To: "Brendan O'Shea" <boshea@Adobe.COM>
Subject: Re: '73 TR6: US vs. Canada spec?
From: drake@direct.ca (len drake)
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 14:38:05 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Brendan - this could be a real can of worms.  I just went
through the same hassle with exporting a vehicle from Canada
to the U.S.  The info I received was that any vehicle made
after Jan. 1/68 has to comply to DOT regulations for the
U.S.  In my case, I was exporting a 1967 Jeepster which was
sold after the model year change and had been licensed since
new as a 1968.  All U.S. Customs wanted was a letter from
the manufacturer (AMC- long gone) that the vehicle complied,
even though it was made in Toledo, Ohio.  I sat on hold for
Chrysler (AMC's successor) Customer SERVICE (???) for 25
minutes, finally spoke to someone who had no knowledge of
Jeeps prior to their takeover, and finally decided to take
another route.  I provided our local licensing branch with
info from a Jeep enthusiast showing that my serial number
was from the 1967 production and got the year changed for
my vehicle - now I'm legal to export it.

You are probably going to have to get something from British
Leyland (long departed) or their successor to prove that it
was the same car.  Good luck.

Regarding your question #3, I don't think this will help.

Cheers,

Len Drake
Kelowna, B.C.