Re: Naive Sandblaster!

To: Bill and Sal Birney <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Subject: Re: Naive Sandblaster!
From: "Don J. Howard" <DHoward@jht.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 08:54:09 -0400
Cc: "Barry P. Warwick" <bwarwick@wcoil.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bill and Sal Birney wrote:

> Just a note to the list.
>
> siliconosis
>
> I am a mining engineer, and so work in the mining idustry here in Oz. I
> have met people with Silicosis, this is one seriously bad disease!. Image
> the worst case of Emphasema you have ever seen or heard of and it can be
> worse than that.
>
> You are at danger through both exposure time (hours days or years), dosage
> (small dose each day for whole life could be equal to a couple of massive
> doses), and particle size (basically the smaller the worse they are, and SB
> will smash up the grains very well). So if you don't use any breathing
> protection whilst enclosed in a thick cload of silica only dust, YOU ARE
> SIGNIFICANTLY INCREASING YOUR CHANCES OF TURNING YOUR LUNGS INTO ROCK.
>
> Yes that is what happens. The silica dust is very resistant to being
> expelled from you lungs and so causes solidification and scaring of the
> lung lining, it can also do this to your limph system. Both effects can
> lead to cancer, if the lack of oxygen transfer doesnot kill you first!
>
> So. Buy and use a good quality respirator with an element for "respirable
> dust".
>
> Preparing for the flames of a doctor who will say that the exact risk
> levels are unclear (which seems to me to be a good reason to take extra
> care).
>
> Yours in safe and productive Triumphing.
>
> Bill and Sal Birney
> '70 GT6+ (RHD)
> '67 Spitfire MkII (Sal's)
> '69 Spitfire MkIII (monster racer?)
>
> birneybs@onaustralia.com.au
I AGREE! This is a dangerous operation without the proper protection.
During the 1930's John Brown Shipyard, where they built the great ocean
liners, had a large sign that read "JOIN THE NAVY AND SEE THE WORLD,
BECOME A SANDBLASTER AND SEE THE NEXT".
CHEERS form a proponent of chemical striping by professionals,  It cost
me $700 to have the frame and all body panels stripped and phosphated at
a REDISTRIP outlet.  It might have been cheaper if I had not done it a
few pieces at a time.