Re: TR3A Doors

To: phammock@ivy.tec.in.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3A Doors
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 08:56:33 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-08-05 13:18:45 EDT, phammock@ivy.tec.in.us (Perry T.
Hammock) writes:

<< Looked at a 59 TR3 this weekend, pre60001, so has the flat hood and trunk
lids, built up rear "seat".  The DCO has had some body "work" done, including
new floor pans (flat cut stainless sheets bolted over the rusted out pans),
fender work (welded the seams front and rear!) and bond rust work.  The
interesting thing was that the doors overlapped the body at the rear edge by
a good quarter inch.  Front gap looked reasonable, as did bottom.  Rockers
had been repaired in a similar ugly fashion.  I have made an offer on the
car, as it has good mechanicals, and I have a good body with bad mechanicals.
 I'm curious why the weird door fit, since the pans weren't removed.  Any
ideas early TR folks?  I wonder, Rob, if they did the floor work on stands
and messed up the gap that bad?  Seems like the car would be kinked
somewhere. >>

As I am sure you are already aware, even in good condition, the tub off the
frame has some 'natural' flex.  The final shimming to the body makes the
final adjustments to the door openings.
If the door gaps and overlap is consistent all the way around  then one would
 guess that the 'repair' work shortened the entire body enought to cause the
overlap in the doors.  Is the overlap consistent all the way up and down the
rear edge of the door ?  If the door opeing is closed from body flexing, you
would expect  more overlap at the top of the door than the bottom of the
door.  Possible that there's a problem at the hinges too as this could push
the doors back.
The entire tub could be out of square from an accident too. Are both doors
the same?

A couple of years ago a friend had his 56 TR3 body redone at one of the
area's 'best' body shops.  The shop wanted the tub but not the frame. "We've
done this before" The repairs required, sills, floors and lots of panel
replacement.  When he got the car back, all painted and 'done',  the doors
did not fit, the hood did not fit ,nor did the trunk !  Had to have the car
cut apart again.  He refused to pay and they slapped a lein on the car !
 What a nightmare.

Hope you get a good deal on the car !
Bob Paul
TS71101L