Shoddy work (kinda long, but isn't most of my stuff :-)?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shoddy work (kinda long, but isn't most of my stuff :-)?)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 08:16:46 -0700
Good morning all-
Before the Moss Motors British Car festival last month I had replaced the
axle hub and flange (to replace a bent one) on the right rear hub of the
highly modified Spitfire (modified GT6+ type, double taper roller
bearings).  I had also rotated the tires, readjusted and tightened the
front steering rack mounts (of course that was in addition to installing
the tranny).  So upon (finally) driving I noticed a slight pull to the left
and figured on a front end alignment.  It had been a LONG time since I had
had any alignment done, so I thought I would get a four wheel alignment,
plus get the tires balanced  Took the car to an alignment shop (in El-Cajon
[el-cahone for those not famillar] name withheld until I can give the shop
a chance to defend its self).  This shop always had various hot rods and
roadster show cars being worked on so I thought it would be a good place,
respectful of the cars they repaired.  After I got it back, leaving it
there for most of the day, the seats were dirty, bumpers, steering wheel
(leather LeCarra) and paintwork had greasy finger prints all over, I was
LESS than enthusiastic.  I was charged a whopping $197, $150 of which was
for the rear, no other explanation or break down, just rear end $150, plus
they didn't have time to balance the tires!  I was not real happy.  There
was no one available at the time to talk to, and it was close to closing,
so I paid and left.  The car seem to steer and track better than before so
I thought all was well.  I drove the car the following weekend to Moss
(about 600 miles round trip), noticing a pronounced vibration at speed.
Thinking that it was because the tires weren't balanced, I wasn't too
concerned although it was rather pronounced, much more so than when the car
had the bent flange.  I had also noticed some severe wear on the rear
tires, especially one (also the reason for the rear alignment) and had
decided to purchase new tires so about two weeks after I got back I bought
a set, but didn't get them installed until last night. (remember this is my
daily driver, about 40 freeway miles a day, plus weekends)  I took the
wheels off the car to have them mounted/balanced, and when I was installing
them back on the car, and checking as I usually do for anything unusual, I
noticed the rear hub/brake on the left side wobbled almost a quarter of an
inch when I tried to install the wheel!  It was that loose.  I thought
possibly I had not reassembled it correctly (unbelievable, but stranger
things have happened :-}).  Then I noticed that the nut/stud area of the
hub was staked!!!,  I would NEVER do this.  The hub has a nyloc nut on it,
plus if you ever have to take it apart, it ruins the threads.  If I were to
do anything I would have replaced it with a slotted nut and drilled the
stud section for a cotter pin!  It uses a standard 5/8-18 UNF thread, nyloc
nut.  This is on a highly customized part, having been modified to accept
the TR6 axle flange, replacing the rotoflex ones, hard and expensive to get
even stock!  The shims were all bent and mangled apearently upon reassambly
whoever didn't replace them correctly.  I had to re-work the threads to
re-use this part!  Apparently, someone worked on or disassembled the hub,
for god knows what reason, as it has nothing to do with alignment, and
instead of replacing the nut just staked the old one back on.  I might add
there were no messages on my answering machine so nobody contacted me about
any potential problems, like hey buddy your rear hub/nut fell off and we
don't have a nut to fit, what do ya want us ta do?  I was appalled!!  I
completely disassembled the rear hubs to inspect for damage, surprisingly
found none except as noted above, considering how loose, and yes at least a
quarter of an inch, the rear hub assy was.  This was after coming home last
night during several record setting (over 100 degrees) temperatures,
working in the garage on a four plus hour job I did not want to do, and
probably sounding worse to the neighbors (especially after smacking my
prominent chin on the fender lip whilst trying to re-torque the nut back on
and slipping from the sweat of working) than a couple of threads as of late
(just a little humor here)!!!  It still hurts this morning,  and while it
*may* not have gone out in that bad of condition (although I think it did
or close to it, since the ride and vibration have improved [dissapeared]
considerably).  Had I not found it out when I did, hub (read expensive, and
possibly dangerous) failure of some sort would have surely followed.  I can
not believe any reputable shop would let such shoddy, potentially dangerous
work leave their place!  If nothing else, loc-tite the d**m thing back on.
This is a good example of why not to re-use nyloc nuts.  They are made to
be used once and only once.  Needless to say I will NEVER get any work done
there again, and will tell every one that asks for my advice on alignment
shops what I have experienced.
Whew, spleen feels much better.  Now after reading this far, does anyone in
the San Diego area know of an alignment shop they can trust?  I need to
have the GT6 done and am paranoid to take it any place, after all this is
my sorta show car.
Sorry for the length, but it is kinda Triumph related :-)

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )