carb needle valve/grose jets

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: carb needle valve/grose jets
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:33:08 -0600
While rebuilding my carbs this weekend, I noticed that the needle valves
I had in my zenith-stromberg carbs had a little gauze screen on the ends
which screws into the carb body. The replacement jets included in my
Moss kit did not have the gauze screens. The pictures of grose jets in
both Moss and TRF catalogs also do not seem to have the screens.

I tried to remove the screens from my original jets using a utility
knife blade as a wedge but had no luck. So concluded they were a fixed
part of the jet and installed the new jets without the gauze screens.

Is this acceptable (no screens on replacement jets)?

Should I have tried harder to remove the screens from my originals and
fit them onto the replacements?

Or will the screens not make any difference anyways?

Thanks for any insights into this little puzzler!

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada