Re: spin-on filter (wix) - tr6

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: spin-on filter (wix) - tr6
From: "Terry W. Geiger" <tgeiger@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:32:17 -0700
Peter,

The Wix # is 51516.  The Fram equivilant (which is what I normally use) is
a PH 3600.

Your other post asks for opinions concerning the spin-on adaptor.  I've
been using one on my TR6 and I love it.

Here's the pros:
1.  No problem with leaks
2.  Reduced engine wear:  The original "can" filter will drain dry (due to
the mounting position) and will cause a dry start up, causing a delay
before oil pressure reaches the engine bearings.  The spin on adaptor
eliminates this problem because the filter is pointed down and gravity
keeps oil in the filter.  Worth the price of the adapter for this reason
alone.
3.  A Fram filter is widely available and costs $2.50 at most outlets.
4.  You don't dump oil all over the frame/engine as with the "can" filter
when you change oil.
5.  I believe (havn't seen any proof) the newer filters due a better job of
cleaning the oil (more efficient) than the original filter elements.

Cons:
1.  It's not OEM equipment.

Hope this helps,
Terry