Re: Stuck Engine

To: "Perry T. Hammock" <phammock@ivy.tec.in.us>
Subject: Re: Stuck Engine
From: Lawrence Zink <zink@pdq.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 19:35:40 -0500
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Perry T. Hammock wrote:

> OK - time to seek wisdom again!  The TR3A (TS60999) has a stuck engine
> - from years of sitting.  Any suggestions on how to break it loose
> appreciated.  Have WD40, Marvel Mystery and liq wrench in the
> cylinders, plugs out.  Starter wont budge it (didnt want to try it too
> much), and I have the crank handle to try to turn it.  I realize a
> full rebuild will probably be needed, its just a matter of pride to
> try and get the thing broken loose.  Ive seen other old Triumphs that
> had been sitting outside
>
> Perry Hammock

   Perry,
Try using some deisel fuel in each cylinder,  Let it set for about 48
hours and try to turn the engine by hand.  You might try putting trans
in gear and rocking the car back and forth.  It sounds weird, but the
extra weight of the car can do what you alone can't.  The diesel will
help loosen the rust in the bores and is slippery enough to lube the
cylinder walls.

Larry Zink
1964 Spitfire4