Re: Underseal and steam cleaning

To: Giles.Nelson@cl.cam.ac.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Underseal and steam cleaning
From: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 13:40:29
> Hello there.
>
> The summer is moving on here in the UK and soon the weather will start
> deteriorating. I want to weather-proof my TR6 before the damp sets in.
>
> I've owned the car about 18 months now and it does have some rust-proofing,
> around the wheel arches. The chassis also looks as if it has been
> rust-proofed, although many years ago. Parts of the chassis are bare though,
> and obviously rusting, so it is important the job is done.
>
> What do people recommend? Should all the old underseal be
> removed? Is steam cleaning a good idea to remove all the old grime and enable
> a full inspection? Will steam cleaning just introduce more water and add to
>any
> rust problems? Should cavities between body panels be treated too?
>
> Due to the lack of facilities and time at the moment I will probably
> get the work done professionally but obviously I would like to know what's
> involved.
>
> Looking forward to any insights.
>
> Giles.

Hi,

If you are going to run you're car overwinter here you need to get
REALLY SERIOUS about rust proofing. I don't know if steam cleaning is
any good or not.  What I would do is get under the car and remove any
loose, old underseal on the floor pans etc.  Treat any rust with
Jelonite, Paint, and then re-do the underseal using Finnigans
"underseal with added waxoyl" This is assuming you currently have an
undersealed finnish. After this use Finnigans Waxoyl (clear) in a
high pressure spray with a probe to cover the insides of all box
sections, chassis, gaps between panels etc. Also use it behind
bumpers, inside doors, inside windscreen frame. You can wipe it over
the chrome aswell. It wont look great, but you can easily remove it
next summer.  Trust me on this, If you don't treat your car like this
then in two winters time it will be a rot box. Guess how I know!

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

*************************************
Dr J.E.Miles