RE: TR6 ignition switches

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: RE: TR6 ignition switches
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 13:01:56 -0400
James Charles Ruwaldt <jruwaldt@indiana.edu> writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lately, my ignition switch has started acting up.  The other day I
started it with some difficulty, figuring that was because it had gotten
cold the previous night.  I drove it about twenty meters, and it died on
me.  I cranked it for the longest time, figuring I'd flooded it.  After a
while I noticed that the blower wasn't working with the key in the run
position, but, when I grabbed the key that time, the blower came on.  So
I held the key in that position, and it started right up.  Since then,
the problem happened once again.
What is most likely the problem?  I haven't tried turning the switch
directly, except with the key, which didn't work, so I gave up before I
stripped the switch.  It seems odd that the starter would work, but the
ignition wouldn't, although I suppose, since they're on separate
circuits, they could go out separately.  It just seems like the starter
switch should go first, since it has a spring in it, but, then, the key
does often get turned roughly through the run position.
Is this probably something that can be easily fixed?  I don't really want
to have to replace the ignition switch.
Jim Ruwaldt
'72 TR6 CC79338U(being restored)
Bloomington, IN

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jim,

I had this problem on both my MG (back in the ' 70's) and on my
' 71 TR6.  The problem is that the contacts in the switch which
carry a lot of current (the ignition coil, the brake lights, the
turn signals, the back up lights, the heater fan, etc.) and they
will burn up and no longer provide a good electrical path.  The
best thing to do is replace the switch.  It is not particularly
easy to do but it only takes about 1 - 2 hours and you will thank
yourself afterwards.

My 71 TR6 would randomly turn itself off while I was driving and
stay off until I jiggled the key.  If I were on the highway the
overdrive would drop out and the exhaust system would load up with
unburned gasoline such that when I turned it back on there would be
an explosion in the exhaust which was quite embarrassing, not to
mention dangerous to the muffler.  Hence my recommendation for
replacing the switch.

Good Luck

Dave (no back fires, please) Massey